Baking chicken thighs can be a great way to enjoy a delicious healthy meal without spending too much time in the kitchen. However, it can be difficult to know how long to bake boneless chicken thighs for the best results.
In this blog post, we’ll be discussing how long to bake your boneless chicken thighs properly. We’ll also teach you recipes and step-by-step processes to bake your boneless chicken thighs.
How Long to Bake Boneless Chicken Thighs?
Baking boneless chicken thighs depends on the size of the chicken thighs and the temperature of the oven. However, here is how long it takes to bake my boneless chicken thighs based on the requirements:
- At a temperature of 200oC (400oF), baking boneless chicken thighs take about 20 – 25 minutes.
- At a temperature setting of 220oC (425oF), the boneless chicken thigh is baked for 25-30 minutes.
- At 175oC (350oF) temperature, the boneless chicken thigh is cooked for about 30 – 35 minutes.
With the above, how long it takes to bake boneless chicken thigh is about 20 – 40 minutes which is, however, determined by the size of the chicken and the oven heat temperature setting.
However, if your chicken thighs have a bone in them, add an extra cooking time of 10 – 15 minutes. If the chicken size is small, it should be ready after 20 minutes, but if it is a large-sized chicken thigh, it will take up to 35 or 40 minutes for the proper cooking process. Also, using a meat thermometer, ensure the internal heat temperature is at 165oF for well-baked boneless chicken thighs.
Baking Boneless Chicken Thighs Recipe and Steps
I love baking boneless chicken thighs at 220oC (425oF) as this is inexpensive, juicy, and easy to bake. Here are the perfect recipes and cooking steps to have a delicious and succulent baked boneless chicken thigh. This method is easy, fast, and ready to enjoy in about 25 or 30 minutes.
For soft, tender, and juicy chicken thighs, you need a simple spice recipe to add flavor to your moist chicken thighs before baking them. Here are the recipes:
- 4 pounds of boneless chicken thigh
- 2 tbsp garlic powder or garlic granules
- 1 ½ tbsp avocado oil
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp seasoning (depending on your preference, I prefer to use Jerk seasoning)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika, chilly powder, or cumin (this adds extra flavor and improves the color)
- 1 ½ tsp salt ( you can use any of your choices, but I use Kosher)
- 1 tsp white or black pepper
For the sauce:
Here are the sauce recipes. Making your sauce is, however, optional.
- 3 tbsp oil (I use olive oil)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp sugar (brown sugar is best)
- 3 minced cloves garlic
- A pinch of red pepper powder or flakes
The below steps are the methods required to bake your boneless chicken thighs.
Step 1: Prepare the chicken
The chicken should be removed from the refrigerator 15 or 20 minutes before baking.
Step 2: Preheat the oven
With the baking tray in the oven, set the oven temperature at 220 C (425 oF) to preheat.
Step 3: Season your chicken
Please eliminate the excess fat by trimming it with a sharp knife and then drying it with a paper towel. Mix the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, pepper, salt, and seasoning in a bowl.
Then, place the chicken in a bowl, brush it with oil, and season with the mixed spices. You can also mix the sauce recipes in a bowl and toss the chicken into it (this is optional). After, hand mixes the spices into the boneless chicken properly.
Step 4: Bake the chicken
Transfer the seasoned chicken to the lined baking tray in a smooth single-layer arrangement. Boneless chicken thighs are quick to bake. Turn on the heat and bake for about 20 minutes, or monitor the baking process with your meat thermometer to check for an internal temperature of 165 oF.
After checking, if the chicken is still not ready, leave it to continue baking and ensure to check it every 3 to 5 minutes.
Step 5: Leave the chicken to rest
Then, remove the tray from the oven, cover the just-baked chicken with parchment paper or aluminum foil, and allow the chicken to rest for about 7 minutes. This will distribute the juice evenly and make it softer, so you can eat and enjoy a deliciously baked boneless chicken thigh!
Tips For Baking Boneless Chicken Thighs
In baking boneless chicken thighs, there are several tips to follow: the baking tips, the storing tip, and the re-heating tip.
The Baking Tips
- Remove the chicken thighs from the refrigerator 20 minutes before baking to eliminate the chill and ensure the baking process is even.
- Trim off excess fats to have a perfect eating experience after baking.
- Your lining baking sheet, paper, or foil should be equal. Lining the tray helps to prevent the juices from running all over the oven and helps to have an easy cleaning after use.
- You do not need to marinate the chicken with oil.
- Before seasoning the chicken, ensure to dry it using a paper towel. This allows the chicken to bake properly and makes it crispy instead of steaming.
- If you’re baking a boneless skinless chicken thigh, the smooth side should be placed to face up, and if it is a boneless chicken thigh with skin-on, it should be baked with the skin side facing up.
- Ensure to bake your chicken to an internal temperature of 75oC or 165oF. You can check using your meat thermometer.
- Before serving, the chicken should rest for about 5 minutes so the juices and spices rub can distribute properly.
The Storing Tips
To store your baked boneless chicken thigh, you can use a freezer if the consumption is going to be long (so it can last longer) or a fridge if you’re consuming it within 3 or 4 days.
For up to 4 months, put the baked chicken in a Ziploc bag or a sealable, airtight, freezer-safe wrap, and store it in the freezer. If you’re storing for up to 4 days, put the chicken thighs into a Ziploc or sealable container and store them in the fridge.
The Re-heating Tips
You can use an oven, microwave, air fryer, or stove to reheat your baked boneless beef.
- To reheat in an oven: Place the chicken thighs on a baking rack or tray. Bake in the oven for 6 minutes at a temperature of 180 °C.
- To reheat using a stove: You can use either a gas or electric stove. However, if you’re using a gas stove, ensure enough ventilation for the heat to escape, and if you’re using an electric stove, ensure the coils are properly cleaned to allow even heat conduction.
Place the baking or grilling tray or rack on the burner and turn the heat on. Then, reheat for about 10 minutes at a high temperature.
- To reheat using an air fryer: Preheat the air fryer for about 5 minutes at the 375°F temperature setting. Place the boneless chicken thighs at the bottom of the basket without stacking them. Set the timer and allow it to heat for about 10 minutes. Then, remove using tongs.
- To reheat in a microwave: On a microwave-safe plate, place the boneless chicken thighs left over and brush with 2 tablespoons of water (this helps to form steam and keep the chicken wet and soft). Then, set the heat for about 2 minutes at a high-temperature setting until they heat through.
What To Serve With My Baked Boneless Chicken Thighs?
The most enjoyable eating experience comes with the best serving. There are several things to serve with your baked boneless chicken thigh. I always love mine served with side dishes like rice, pasta, baked potatoes, cole slaw, or pineapple salad. You can also use them to fill your sandwiches, meat pies, sausages, and wraps.
Prepare any side dish for a perfect serving, and enjoy your baked boneless chicken thighs.
Can I Marinate My Boneless Chicken Thighs?
You marinate your chicken thighs using several marinades, like lemon juice, peri sauce, soy sauce, honey, mustard, yogurt, and other delicious marinades (check more online).
Marinating your chicken should be done for about 20 minutes at room temperature or 24 hours in the fridge. You can also marinate the chicken overnight, but it is best that the marinating not exceed 24 hours; otherwise, the chicken gets mushy, strong, and breaks down. However, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) recommends that it be disposed of if it exceeds 48 hours.
Boneless chicken thighs are seasoned with herbs and spices, giving them a nice aroma and delicious taste. With no preservatives, the above recipe is the best and healthiest.
Note that the above recipe is for 5 servings. You can increase the quantity for more servings or decrease it for fewer servings.
I hope you find this as interesting and important as I do. Bake the perfect boneless chicken thighs and have an enjoyable eating experience.