Mmmmmm, the delicious aroma of Red Robin’s signature sauce is enough to make your mouth water. If you’re a fan of the restaurant chain, then you’ll know that their Buzz Sauce is what sets them apart from other burger joints. And the good news is that you can now recreate this delicious sauce at home with just a few simple ingredients.
In this article, we’ll give you a step-by-step guide on how to make Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe. It’s the perfect addition to any burger, chicken sandwich, or even as a dip for your fries. So let’s get started and satisfy your cravings for this mouth-watering sauce.
History of Buzz Sauce at Red Robin
The history of Buzz Sauce at Red Robin can be traced back to the early 2000s. The restaurant chain had already established a reputation for its burgers and bottomless fries, but they wanted to add a new and unique sauce to their menu.
According to Red Robin, Buzz Sauce was created by accident when a line cook mistakenly combined two different sauces in a container. The resulting sauce was an instant hit with the kitchen staff, and it quickly made its way onto the menu.
Initially, Buzz Sauce was only available as a limited-time offer, but due to its popularity, it became a permanent fixture on the menu. The sauce’s name comes from the buzzing sensation it creates on the tongue due to its spicy kick.
Over the years, the recipe for Buzz Sauce has evolved slightly. The current version of the sauce includes aged red peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, granulated garlic, soybean oil, dehydrated minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, natural flavor, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate, and sodium benzoate.
Today, Buzz Sauce is a beloved condiment at Red Robin and is often paired with the restaurant’s signature burgers, fries, and onion rings. It has also inspired home cooks to try to replicate the recipe at home, with various copycat recipes available online.
Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe
- Blender or food processor
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Storage container with lid
- 1 cup aged red peppers drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup soybean oil
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon natural flavor
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon potassium sorbate
- 1/4 teaspoon sodium benzoate
- In a blender or food processor, puree the aged red peppers until smooth.
- In a saucepan, combine the pureed peppers, distilled vinegar, water, salt, and granulated garlic. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add soybean oil, dehydrated minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, natural flavor, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate, and sodium benzoate.
- Use a whisk to mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Store the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools, so add water to thin it out if needed.
- Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper based on your desired level of spiciness.
- Xanthan gum, potassium sorbate, and sodium benzoate are used as preservatives and can be found in most grocery stores or online.
The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe contains several ingredients that provide various nutritional benefits, making it a flavorful and healthy condiment that can be enjoyed in moderation. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of the ingredients in the recipe:
- Aged Red Peppers: Red peppers are a great source of vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and fiber. They also contain antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation and protect against chronic diseases like heart disease and cancer.
- Distilled Vinegar: Vinegar has been linked to various health benefits, including improved blood sugar control, weight loss, and reduced cholesterol levels. It is also a good source of acetic acid, which has antibacterial properties and may help improve digestion.
- Garlic: Garlic is a rich source of antioxidants and has been shown to have antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. It may also help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of certain cancers.
- Soybean Oil: Soybean oil is a good source of vitamin E and healthy unsaturated fats. It may also have anti-inflammatory effects and help lower cholesterol levels.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Worcestershire sauce contains several ingredients that have potential health benefits, including vinegar, garlic, and spices. It may also help improve digestion and reduce inflammation.
- Cayenne Pepper: Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a compound that gives it its spicy heat. Capsaicin has been shown to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects, as well as potential benefits for heart health and metabolism.
- Xanthan Gum: Xanthan gum is a common food additive that is used as a thickener and stabilizer. It is low in calories and has no nutritional value, but it can help improve the texture and consistency of foods.
- Potassium Sorbate and Sodium Benzoate: Potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate are preservatives that are commonly used in food to prevent spoilage. While they have no nutritional value, they are considered safe for consumption and are used in very small amounts in the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe.
Best Things to Eat With It
The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is a versatile condiment that pairs well with a wide range of foods. Here are some of the best things to eat with it:
- Burgers: The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is a classic condiment for burgers, adding a tangy and spicy flavor to your favorite beef, turkey, or veggie burger.
- Chicken: The sauce is also great with grilled or baked chicken, providing a burst of flavour and helping to keep the meat moist.
- Fries: The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe can be used as a dip for French fries, sweet potato fries, or any other type of fried potato.
- Sandwiches: The sauce can be used as a spread on sandwiches, providing a tangy kick to deli meats, grilled cheese, or veggie sandwiches.
- Tacos: The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe can be used as a topping for tacos, providing a spicy and flavorful kick to your favourite protein, vegetables, and toppings.
- Roasted Vegetables: The sauce can also be used as a marinade or glaze for roasted vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, broccoli, or carrots.
- Grilled Shrimp or Fish: The tangy and spicy flavor of the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is a perfect complement to grilled shrimp or fish, adding depth and complexity to your favourite seafood dishes.
If you’re looking to make a sauce similar to the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe but want to try something different, here are some alternatives you can consider:
- Chipotle Sauce: This sauce is made with chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, garlic, and other seasonings. It has a smoky and spicy flavor that goes well with grilled meats and vegetables.
- Chimichurri Sauce: This Argentinean sauce is made with fresh parsley, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, and red pepper flakes. It has a bright and herby flavor that pairs well with grilled meats and seafood.
- Harissa Sauce: This North African sauce is made with chili peppers, garlic, cumin, coriander, and other spices. It has a bold and spicy flavor that goes well with roasted vegetables, chicken, and lamb.
- Romesco Sauce: This Spanish sauce is made with roasted red peppers, almonds, garlic, and bread crumbs. It has a nutty and slightly sweet flavor that goes well with grilled fish and vegetables.
- Green Goddess Sauce: This sauce is made with fresh herbs, such as basil and parsley, garlic, lemon juice, and mayonnaise or yogurt. It has a bright and tangy flavor that goes well with roasted vegetables, grilled chicken, and fish.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
When making the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe, there are a few common mistakes that you should try to avoid to ensure that your sauce turns out flavorful and delicious. Here are some mistakes to watch out for:
- Using too much salt: The recipe already contains salt, so be careful not to add too much additional salt. Taste the sauce as you go and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Adding too much vinegar: Vinegar can be a strong flavor, and adding too much can overpower the other ingredients. Start with a small amount and adjust as needed.
- Skipping the resting period: The recipe calls for letting the sauce rest for at least an hour before serving. This allows the flavors to meld together and develop, so be sure to give the sauce enough time to rest.
- Not blending the sauce enough: To get a smooth and consistent sauce, be sure to blend the ingredients together thoroughly. If you have a high-powered blender, this shouldn’t be a problem, but if you are using a lower-powered blender, you may need to blend the sauce in batches.
- Not adjusting the spiciness level: The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe contains cayenne pepper, which can be quite spicy. If you prefer a milder sauce, you may want to reduce the amount of cayenne pepper or leave it out entirely. On the other hand, if you love spicy food, you may want to add more cayenne pepper or even some diced jalapeno peppers.
The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Here are some tips for storing the sauce:
- Use a glass or plastic container with a tight-fitting lid to keep air out and prevent the sauce from drying out.
- Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before storing it in the refrigerator.
- Label the container with the date you made the sauce so that you can keep track of how long it has been stored.
- If the sauce separates or thickens during storage, give it a good stir or blend it in a blender to bring it back to its original consistency.
- Avoid freezing the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe, as the texture may change and it may not taste as good after being frozen and thawed.
Vegan and Vegetarian Adaptations
If you’re looking to make the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe vegan or vegetarian-friendly, there are a few adaptations you can make to the original recipe. Here are some suggestions:
Substitute soy sauce for Worcestershire sauce
The original recipe calls for Worcestershire sauce, which contains anchovies and is not vegetarian. Instead, you can use soy sauce, which is a vegan and vegetarian-friendly alternative.
Use a plant-based oil
The recipe calls for soybean oil, which is a common vegetable oil. However, if you’re looking to make the recipe vegan, you can use a plant-based oil such as olive oil or avocado oil.
Check the label on the hot sauce
Some hot sauce brands may contain animal products, such as fish sauce or chicken broth. Make sure to read the label before using a hot sauce to ensure it’s vegan or vegetarian-friendly.
Add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor
If you’re looking to add a cheesy flavour to the sauce, you can add some nutritional yeast. This is a vegan-friendly ingredient that adds a cheesy, nutty flavour to dishes.
Adjust the spice level to your liking
The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is known for being spicy, but you can adjust the spice level to your liking. If you prefer a milder sauce, reduce the amount of cayenne pepper or use a milder hot sauce.
Serving Suggestions For Different Occasions
The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is a versatile sauce that can be used in a variety of ways. Here are some serving suggestions for different occasions:
- Game day parties: The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is a perfect addition to any game day party. Serve it alongside chips, pretzels, or veggies for dipping. You can also use it as a topping for burgers, hot dogs, or nachos.
- Family dinners: Use the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe as a marinade for chicken, pork, or tofu. Grill or bake the protein for a flavorful and spicy main dish. You can also use it as a dipping sauce for roasted vegetables, such as cauliflower or Brussels sprouts.
- Backyard barbecues: The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is a great sauce for grilling. Use it to baste chicken, beef, or shrimp skewers while cooking. You can also brush it onto grilled corn or drizzle it over grilled pizza for added flavor.
- Sandwiches and wraps: Use the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe as a spread on sandwiches and wraps. It pairs well with turkey, roast beef, or grilled vegetables.
- Salads: Drizzle the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe over salads for a spicy and flavorful dressing. It pairs well with greens, such as kale or arugula, as well as grilled or roasted veggies.
- Tacos: Use the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe as a topping for tacos. It pairs well with chicken, beef, or fish tacos, as well as vegetarian options like roasted vegetable or tofu tacos.
These are just a few ideas for how to serve the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe at different occasions. Get creative and experiment with different ways to use this versatile sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I adjust the level of spiciness in the sauce?
A: Yes, you can adjust the spiciness level by adding more or less cayenne pepper, or by adding other types of chili peppers to the recipe.
Can I use a different type of vinegar in the recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of vinegar you like, such as apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar. However, keep in mind that different types of vinegar may have a slightly different flavor profile.
Can I make the sauce ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the sauce ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. Just be sure to let it cool to room temperature before storing it.
Is the sauce gluten-free?
The recipe does not contain any gluten-containing ingredients, so it should be safe for people with gluten sensitivities. However, it’s always a good idea to double-check the ingredients to make sure.
Can I use the sauce as a marinade?
Yes, you can use the sauce as a marinade for meats or vegetables. Just be sure to reserve some of the sauce for serving as a condiment.
How can I make the sauce thicker or thinner?
To make the sauce thicker, you can add a small amount of cornstarch or arrowroot powder to the recipe. To make it thinner, you can add more vinegar or water. Just be sure to adjust the other ingredients accordingly to maintain the right balance of flavours.
The Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is a delicious and versatile condiment that can add flavor and nutrition to a variety of dishes. It contains several ingredients that provide nutritional benefits, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory compounds.
While the recipe does contain some preservatives and oil, it can still be enjoyed in moderation as part of a healthy diet. With its tangy and spicy flavour, the Buzz Sauce Red Robin Recipe is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and a staple in any home cook’s recipe collection.