If you enjoyed my recipe for Fiery Crab Sauce recipe, you’re in for another treat with this spicy and flavorful Crafty Crab Cajun Sauce. This sauce packs a flavor punch with blend of Cajun spices like cayenne pepper, paprika, thyme, and oregano. Simmered to perfection with garlic and tomatoes, this sauce is perfect for drizzling on seafood like shrimp, crawfish, and of course, crab. You can also use it as a condiment for dishes like jambalaya or étouffée. Be sure to check out the recipe for my Crafty Crab Boom Sauce too.
Can I use fresh tomatoes instead of canned diced tomatoes?
You can use fresh tomatoes instead of canned tomatoes. Use 1.5 to 2 pounds of fresh tomatoes, cored and chopped. You may need to increase the cooking time to 15-20 minutes for the fresh tomatoes to break down properly. You may also want to add a bit of tomato paste for a thicker consistency.
Do I have to puree or blend the sauce?
Blending the sauce will give it a smoother and thicker texture but it is optional. For a chunkier sauce, simply simmer the ingredients as directed. The flavour will still come through. Blending part of the sauce and leaving some chunks is also a good compromise.
Can I make this sauce spicier?
If you want to make your Crafty Crab Cajun Sauce spicier, add more cayenne pepper to suit your heat level. Start with 1/2 teaspoon increments and blend into the sauce. You can also add a chopped jalapeño or chipotle in adobo to boost the heat and flavor. Add the peppers when you add the garlic and onions.
What seafood pairs well with this Cajun sauce?
Crafty Crab Cajun Sauce pairs well with a variety of seafood dishes, especially those with a Cajun or Creole influence. Some seafood options that pair well with this sauce include:
1. Crawfish: Crawfish is a classic Cajun dish and pairs perfectly with the spicy flavors of the Cajun sauce.
2. Shrimp: Shrimp is a versatile seafood that can be prepared in many ways, and the Cajun sauce adds a bold and flavorful twist.
3. Catfish: Catfish is a staple in Southern cuisine and is often prepared with Cajun seasoning. The Cajun sauce complements the flavours of the catfish perfectly.
4. Crab legs: Crab legs are a popular seafood choice, and the Cajun sauce adds a spicy kick to the sweet and delicate flavor of the crab meat.
5. Oysters: Oysters are often served with a spicy cocktail sauce, and the Cajun sauce is a great alternative that adds a unique and flavorful twist.
Does this sauce need to be refrigerated?
Yes, since this recipe contains ingredients like fresh garlic, onion, and tomato, it is best refrigerated. The sauce will last up to 1 week refrigerated. For longer shelf life, the sauce can also be canned using recommended canning procedures. When reheating, do so over low heat while stirring frequently.
Can I freeze the sauce?
The sauce can be frozen for up to 3 months. Let the sauce cool, then freeze in an airtight container or resealable plastic freezer bag. When ready to use, thaw the sauce in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat the sauce thoroughly over low heat until bubbling.
What’s the best way to serve catfish with Cajun sauce?
Catfish is a popular seafood dish that is often prepared with Cajun seasoning, making it a great pairing with the Crafty Crab Cajun Sauce. Here are some ways to serve catfish with Cajun sauce:
1. Fried catfish: Coat the catfish fillets in a mixture of cornmeal and Cajun seasoning and fry them until crispy. Serve the fried catfish with a side of Cajun sauce for dipping.
2. Grilled catfish: Season the catfish fillets with Cajun seasoning and grill them until they are cooked through. Serve the grilled catfish with a drizzle of Cajun sauce on top.
3. Blackened catfish: Season the catfish fillets with Cajun seasoning and blacken them in a cast-iron skillet. Serve the blackened catfish with a generous spoonful of Cajun sauce on top.
4. Catfish Po’ Boy: Make a classic Louisiana-style po’ boy sandwich with crispy fried catfish fillets, lettuce, tomato, and a generous slather of Cajun sauce.
No matter how you choose to serve it, the Crafty Crab Cajun Sauce is a delicious and spicy addition to any catfish dish.
Crafty Crab Cajun Sauce Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Whisk or spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Airtight container for storing the sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk or stir the ingredients together until well combined and the sauce is smooth.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Transfer the sauce to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use
Crafty Crab Cajun Sauce brings the vibrant flavours of New Orleans to your table. This sauce is meant for seafood, but don’t be shy – drizzle it on anything savory for an instant flavour boost. The blend of spices and aromatics creates a robust yet balanced flavor that lingers pleasantly. I hope you have found a new favourite in this Crafty Crab Cajun Sauce. Bon appetit!