The combination of fibre, protein, and healthy fats in Fasolada can contribute to a feeling of satiety, potentially aiding in weight management.
Beyond its health benefits, Fasolada is celebrated for its delicious flavour. Combining beans, vegetables, and herbs creates a satisfying and comforting dish that many enjoy.
In this blog post, I will be showing a Fasolada Greek White Bean Soup you can trust, storage tips, what to take with it and answers to common questions.
Fasolada Greek White Bean Soup Recipe
- Large bowl
- Cutting board and knife
- Large Pot (2)
- Wooden spoon or ladle
- Measuring Spoons and Cups
- Can opener
- Soup ladle
- Tasting Spoons
- 500g / 1lb dried white kidney beans
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3-4 sticks of celery
- 1 potato
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes or passata
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place the dried white kidney beans in a large bowl.
- Cover them with water and let them soak overnight. This helps soften the beans and reduce cooking time.
- Peel and chop the carrots, onion, garlic cloves, celery, and potato into small, bite-sized pieces.
- After soaking, drain and rinse the beans.
- In a large pot, add the beans and cover them with water.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer.
- Cook until the beans are tender. This may take 1-2 hours depending on the beans.
- In another large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and garlic. Sauté until softened and aromatic.
- Add carrots, celery, and potatoes. Continue sautéing for a few more minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and crushed tomatoes (or passata).
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Add the cooked beans (drained) to the pot with the sautéed vegetables.
- Pour in enough water to cover the beans and vegetables.
- Add bay leaves and sweet paprika.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Let it simmer for at least 30-40 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed. Add more salt or pepper as per your preference.
- Once the soup is ready, discard the bay leaves.
- Serve hot, drizzling a bit of olive oil on top if desired.
Tips for a Perfect Fasolada Greek White Bean Soup
Fasolada Greek White Bean Soup is hearty and nutritious, but you can ensure it turns out perfect every time you do the right thing.
1. Soak Those Beans
One of the key steps in achieving a creamy and well-cooked Fasolada is to soak the dried white kidney beans overnight. This not only reduces the cooking time but also ensures the beans absorb flavours more effectively.
2. Choose Quality Ingredients
Opt for fresh and high-quality vegetables. The sweetness of ripe tomatoes, the earthiness of garlic, and the freshness of celery all contribute to the rich flavour profile of Fasolada.
3. Balance the Flavors
Achieving the perfect balance of flavours is crucial. The sweetness of carrots, the savoury notes from onions and garlic, and the slight acidity from tomatoes should complement each other harmoniously. Adjust the quantities based on your personal preference.
4. Master the Art of Sautéing
Sautéing the onions and garlic until they are soft and aromatic creates a solid flavour foundation for your soup. Take your time at this stage; it sets the tone for the entire dish.
5. Mindful Spices
Sweet paprika adds a gentle warmth to the soup. Be cautious with the quantity, as you want it to enhance the flavours, not overpower them.
6. Olive Oil, the Greek Elixir
Use a good-quality extra virgin olive oil. Not only does it add richness to the soup, but it’s a staple in Mediterranean cuisine known for its health benefits and distinctive taste.
7. Tomato Dynamics
8. Slow Simmer for Flavor Fusion
Allow the soup to simmer on low heat. This slow cooking process allows the beans to absorb the flavours of the vegetables and spices, resulting in a more complex and delicious soup.
9. Seasoning Savvy
Season gradually and taste as you go. Remember, you can always add more salt and pepper later, but it’s challenging to correct an overly seasoned dish.
10. Garnish with Love
Before serving, drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil on top. This not only adds a finishing touch but also enhances the overall taste and mouthfeel.
What To Have With Fasolada Greek White Bean Soup
Whether you choose to take it with bread or explore the diverse flavours of the Greek-inspired spread, pairing dishes like the ones below can make your Falsolada experience different.
1. Crusty Bread or Pita
There’s something inherently comforting about dipping a piece of crusty bread or warm pita into a bowl of Fasolada. The chewiness of the bread complements the creamy texture of the soup, making it a perfect pairing.
2. Greek Salad
A fresh and vibrant Greek salad is an excellent choice to serve alongside Fasolada. The crispness of cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and feta cheese provides a delightful contrast to the warm and hearty soup.
3. Feta Cheese
Consider serving a plate of feta cheese cubes or a wedge on the side. The tangy and salty flavour of feta complements the mild sweetness of Fasolada, creating a dynamic flavour balance.
4. Kalamata Olives
Introduce a bowl of Kalamata olives to the table. Their briny and rich taste enhances the overall Mediterranean experience, adding a burst of flavour to each spoonful of soup.
5. Tzatziki Sauce
Tzatziki, a yogurt-based sauce with cucumber and garlic, can be a refreshing addition. Its cool and creamy texture provides a delightful contrast to the warmth of the soup.
6. Lemon Wedges
Serve Fasolada with lemon wedges on the side. Squeezing a bit of fresh lemon juice into the soup just before eating adds a citrusy zing that brightens up the flavours.
7. Roasted Vegetables
Roasted vegetables, such as zucchini, eggplant, or bell peppers, can be a tasty side dish. The caramelized flavors of roasted veggies complement the earthiness of Fasolada.
8. Grilled Fish or Chicken
For a heartier meal, consider serving grilled fish or chicken alongside Fasolada. The simplicity of grilled proteins allows the flavours of the soup to shine while adding a satisfying protein element to the meal.
9. Herb-infused Rice
A side of herb-infused rice, like lemon and dill rice, pairs well with Fasolada. The fragrant rice adds a complementary layer of flavour to the meal.
10. Red Wine
Complete the dining experience with a glass of Greek red wine. The robust and fruity notes of the wine harmonize with the richness of the soup, creating a well-balanced combination.