Are you ready to tantalize your taste buds with a dessert that’s both rich and buttery? Well, you’re in for a real treat because I’ve got a recipe that’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s none other than Gigi’s Butter Cake, a classic dessert that’s moist, fluffy, and oh-so-decadent.
This cake is perfect for any occasion, whether you’re celebrating a birthday, hosting a dinner party, or simply craving something sweet. And the best part? It’s super easy to make, so even if you’re a novice baker, you can still pull it off like a pro.
What is Gigi’s Butter Cake?
Gigi’s Butter Cake is a classic dessert that’s known for its rich, buttery flavor and moist texture. It’s a simple yet indulgent cake that’s made with basic ingredients like all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, unsalted butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk.
The cake is typically baked in a rectangular baking pan and can be served warm or at room temperature. It’s a popular dessert that’s perfect for any occasion, from family gatherings to birthdays to dinner parties. Gigi’s Butter Cake is a timeless recipe that has been enjoyed by many for generations.
Can I use salted butter in Gigi’s Butter Cake?
While the recipe for Gigi’s Butter Cake typically calls for unsalted butter, you can use salted butter in a pinch. If you do decide to use salted butter, it’s important to adjust the amount of salt you use in the recipe accordingly. For example, if your recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of salt and you use salted butter, you may want to reduce the amount of salt to 1/4 teaspoon or even omit it altogether. Keep in mind that using salted butter may affect the overall flavour and texture of the cake, so it’s best to stick to unsalted butter if possible.
Can I make Gigi’s Butter Cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make Gigi’s Butter Cake ahead of time. After the cake has cooled down, you can keep it in a container with a lid at room temperature for up to three days. Alternatively, you can wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to three months.
When you want to eat the cake, take it out of the freezer and leave it at room temperature for a few hours or overnight to thaw. Or, you can heat individual pieces in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up. Remember to keep the cake covered until you’re ready to eat it to stop it from getting dry.
What’s the best way to serve Gigi’s Butter Cake?
The best way to serve Gigi’s Butter Cake is either warm or at room temperature. You can enjoy it plain, or you can add toppings like whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream to make it even more delicious. To serve warm, heat the cake in the oven or microwave for a few seconds until it’s warm and tender.
If you’re serving the cake at room temperature, you can garnish it with fresh berries or a dusting of powdered sugar to make it look more appetizing. Gigi’s Butter Cake is a classic dessert that’s perfect for any occasion, and it’s sure to be a crowd-pleaser no matter how you choose to serve it.
Can I add any additional flavors to Gigi’s Butter Cake?
Yes, you can add additional flavors to Gigi’s Butter Cake to change things up and make it your own. Some popular options include adding lemon zest to the batter for a citrusy twist, adding almond extract for a nutty flavor, or incorporating a layer of fruit on top of the batter before baking.
You can also experiment with different spices like cinnamon or nutmeg to give the cake a warm and cozy flavor. Just keep in mind that adding extra ingredients may change the texture and consistency of the cake, so it’s best to start with small amounts of flavorings and adjust as needed. With a little creativity, you can customize Gigi’s Butter Cake to suit your taste preferences and create a dessert that’s truly unique.
What’s the difference between Gigi’s Butter Cake and pound cake?
Gigi’s Butter Cake and pound cake are similar in that they’re both rich, buttery cakes. However, pound cake typically has a denser texture and uses equal parts butter, sugar, flour, and eggs, whereas Gigi’s Butter Cake has a lighter texture and uses more flour and less eggs.
Can I make Gigi’s Butter Cake gluten-free?
Yes, you can make Gigi’s Butter Cake gluten-free by using a gluten-free flour blend in place of the all-purpose flour. There are many gluten-free flour blends available on the market that can be used as a one-to-one substitute for regular flour in most baking recipes.
When making Gigi’s Butter Cake gluten-free, it’s important to note that the texture and consistency of the cake may be slightly different from the original recipe. Gluten-free flours tend to be denser and may require more moisture to achieve the desired texture. You may need to adjust the amount of liquid in the recipe or add an extra egg to help the cake rise.
To ensure that your gluten-free Gigi’s Butter Cake turns out moist and tender, it’s best to follow a trusted gluten-free recipe or experiment with different gluten-free flour blends until you find one that works well. With a little patience and experimentation, you can enjoy a delicious gluten-free version of this classic dessert.
How can I make Gigi’s Butter Cake even more moist?
To make Gigi’s Butter Cake even more moist, there are a few things you can do:
1. Add sour cream or Greek yogurt to the batter: Adding a tablespoon or two of sour cream or Greek yogurt to the batter can help make the cake more moist and tender.
2. Use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour: Cake flour has a lower protein content than all-purpose flour, which can help make the cake more tender and moist.
3. Add an extra egg: Adding an extra egg to the batter can help make the cake more moist, as eggs are a great source of moisture in baked goods.
4. Brush the cake with a simple syrup: Brushing the cake with a simple syrup made from sugar and water can help add moisture and sweetness to the cake.
5. Bake the cake in a water bath: Baking the cake in a water bath can help keep the cake moist and prevent it from drying out.
By using one or more of these techniques, you can make Gigi’s Butter Cake even more moist and delicious. However, keep in mind that adding too much moisture can also make the cake dense or gummy, so it’s best to use these techniques in moderation and adjust the recipe as needed.
Can I use a different type of milk in Gigi’s Butter Cake?
Yes, you can use any type of milk in Gigi’s Butter Cake, including whole milk, skim milk, almond milk, or soy milk. Just keep in mind that using a different type of milk may affect the final texture and flavour of the cake.
Gigi’s Butter Cake
- 9-inch cake pan
- Mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in three parts, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature before creaming it with the sugar.
- Sifting the dry ingredients will help to ensure a smooth and even batter.
- Do not overmix the batter, as this can result in a tough cake.
- You can dust the cake with powdered sugar or frost it with your favorite frosting, if desired.
There you have it, my friend – a recipe that’s sure to become a staple in your dessert repertoire. Gigi’s Butter Cake is the ultimate indulgence, and it’s a treat that everyone will love. With its rich, buttery flavour and moist, fluffy texture, this cake is sure to impress even the pickiest eaters.
So the next time you’re in the mood for something sweet, skip the store-bought desserts and whip up a batch of Gigi’s Butter Cake instead.