Imagine a time when the air feels cool, the leaves turn all sorts of pretty colours, and you get to wear your comfiest sweaters. Yup, that’s the magical season called fall. And guess what? I’ve got a super fun way to celebrate it: Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting.
In my kitchen, it’s like a yummy party. First, we mix special things like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves that smell like a warm hug. Then, we turn it into cupcake magic. These Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes are like little treats that taste like the cosiness of fall and make our hearts happy.
At my home, making these cupcakes is like a special tradition. It’s like saying, “Hello, fall. We’re ready for your awesome vibes.” We mix and bake and, ta-da, our kitchen is filled with the sweetest smells ever.
So, if you want to join the fun, grab your mixing bowl, put on your apron, and let’s make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes that are like bites of fall happiness. It’s easy, and super yummy, and you’ll be a fall baking pro in no time.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes With Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cupcake Tray
- Paper Cupcake Cases
- Sifter or Sieve
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Cooling rack
- Electric mixer
- Piping Bag and Tips (optional)
- Toothpick or Cake Tester
- Knife or Offset Spatula
- 175 grams of light brown soft sugar
- 100 milliliters of vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 200 grams of pumpkin puree
- 200 grams of self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of mixed spice
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 200 grams of unsalted butter, softened
- 400 grams of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- Begin by preheating your oven to 180°C (160°C for fan ovens) and line a cupcake tray with paper cases.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the light brown sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs. Whisk them together until the mixture becomes smooth and well incorporated.
- Gently fold in the pumpkin puree, infusing the batter with that unmistakable autumn essence.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the self-raising flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, mixed spice, ground ginger, and nutmeg. Gradually incorporate the dry mixture into the wet ingredients, stirring until a smooth batter forms.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake cases, filling each one about two-thirds full. This allows room for the cupcakes to rise beautifully in the oven.
- Place the cupcake tray in the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Once baked, transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Gradually sift in the icing sugar, combining it with the butter to create a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Add vanilla extract, cinnamon, and milk to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat the ingredients together until the frosting achieves a luscious texture.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, generously frost each one with the prepared buttercream. You can use a piping bag for a professional touch or simply spread it with a knife for a rustic feel.
How Long Do the Cupcakes Last and Can They Be Frozen?
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting are a delightful treat, but how long they last depends on storage conditions. When stored in an airtight container at room temperature, these cupcakes maintain their freshness for about 2-3 days. To extend their shelf life, refrigerate them for up to a week, ensuring they’re still stored in an airtight container to prevent moisture absorption.
For longer-term storage, freezing is an excellent option. To freeze, wrap each cupcake individually in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn. Place the wrapped cupcakes in a freezer bag, removing as much air as possible before sealing. Properly stored, Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes can be frozen for up to three months without sacrificing flavour or texture.
When ready to enjoy a frozen cupcake, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bringing it to room temperature before serving enhances the flavour and texture. While freezing is an effective preservation method, keep in mind that the moisture content in the buttercream frosting may change slightly upon thawing. Despite this, the overall taste and quality of the cupcakes should remain intact.
Can the Cupcakes Be Made Gluten or Dairy Free?
Adapting Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting to be gluten or dairy-free opens the door to inclusivity, allowing those with dietary restrictions to indulge in the autumn flavours. For a gluten-free option, swap traditional self-raising flour with a gluten-free alternative or a homemade mix of almonds, rice, and tapioca flours. Ensuring the gluten-free baking powder is used maintains the cupcake’s leavening power without compromising the recipe’s integrity.
To create dairy-free versions of these delectable treats, replace traditional unsalted butter with vegan butter or coconut oil. Substituting dairy milk in the cupcake batter with non-dairy alternatives like almond or coconut milk ensures a plant-based twist without sacrificing the cupcakes’ moisture and flavour. Buttercream Frosting can also be crafted dairy-free by choosing plant-based butter substitutes and using non-dairy milk, offering a creamy and rich topping that aligns with dietary preferences.
However, when making these substitutions, precision is key. Adjusting ingredient ratios may be necessary, especially with gluten-free flours, which can absorb liquids differently. Individuals with severe allergies should meticulously select certified gluten or dairy-free ingredients to prevent cross-contamination
What To Have With Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes With Buttercream Frosting
Pumpkin Cupcake with buttercream is amazing, but what if you can have it with other great side dishes.
1. Hot Spiced Chai
The combination of the cupcake’s rich, earthy spices with the exotic warmth of chai creates a sensory experience that transcends ordinary indulgence.
The subtle kick of cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger in the chai beautifully complements the cupcakes, making this pairing perfect for autumn afternoons.
2. Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
The cold, velvety texture of the ice cream provides a heavenly counterpoint to the warmth of the cupcake.
As the flavours intermingle on your palate, you’ll discover a delightful dance of spicy and sweet, creating a dessert duet that’s sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
3. Freshly Brewed Coffee
Elevate your cupcake experience by enjoying it alongside a cup of freshly brewed coffee. Whether it’s a robust black coffee or a velvety latte, the coffee’s boldness enhances the subtle flavours of the cupcakes.
The caffeine kick serves as a delightful contrast to the sweetness of the buttercream frosting, making each bite a perfect balance of rich, comforting flavours.