As more people adopt vegetarian, vegan, or flexitarian diets for health, environmental, or ethical reasons, the demand for high-quality meat alternatives has skyrocketed. Beyond Meat stepped up to the challenge by developing a revolutionary plant-based burger that looks, cooks, and satisfies like beef – without a single cow involved.
Crafted with simple, all-natural ingredients like peas, rice, and beet juice, Beyond Burgers deliver the meaty texture and robust flavor that even devout carnivores crave. In fact, in blind taste tests, many can’t distinguish them from a traditional beef burger.
These plant-based patties are not only deliciously satisfying, but they’re also positive for health and sustainability. With less saturated fat and no cholesterol compared to beef, Beyond Burgers are a smarter option for your heart health. And by opting for plant-based protein over resource-intensive animal agriculture, you reduce your carbon footprint with every bite.
Gather these essential ingredients to make mouthwatering Beyond Meat burgers:
- 2 packs Beyond Meat Plant-Based Burger Patties (4 patties total, each is 4 oz) – These give you that hearty meaty texture and flavor without the beef.
- 4 sesame seed hamburger buns – I like these because the seeds add a little crunch.
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce – Iceberg gives you crispness without being too heavy.
- 2 tomatoes, sliced – I slice tomatoes thick to get nice juicy pieces that add sweetness.
- 1/2 white onion, sliced into rounds – I slice onions into rounds to give a sharp, pungent kick.
- 8 dill pickle chips – Small pickle chips distribute tart and tangy flavor in every bite.
- 4 slices cheddar or Swiss cheese – Can’t go wrong with melty cheese for a gooey, savory flavor.
- 3 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil for cooking – I use olive oil to help the patties brown evenly.
- 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper – Just a pinch of salt and pepper enhances the flavors.
Have these essential tools ready to cook up the perfect Beyond Meat burgers:
- 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet – I like cast iron to get an even sear on the patties.
- Metal Spatula – A thin spatula makes flipping the patties a breeze.
- Large Serving Platter – Lets me assemble and serve the burgers easily.
- Sharp Chef’s Knife and Cutting Board – I use a sharp knife to prep ingredients safely.
- Kitchen Tongs – Helpful for grabbing and placing the hot patties.
- Paper Towels – Make cleaning up grease and drips quick and easy.
Step-By-Step Guide to Cooking Beyond Meat Burgers
Follow these simple steps for grilling up the ultimate Beyond Meat burgers:
Step 1: Heat Skillet and Add Oil
Place a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add about 1 tsp of olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil or oil of choice.
Step 2: Season Patties
While the skillet heats up, take Beyond Meat patties out of packaging. Season both sides with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Step 3: Add Patties to Skillet
When oil is shimmering, carefully add burger patties. Cook for 2-3 minutes on first side without moving to get a nice sear.
Step 4: Flip and Cook Other Side
After 2-3 minutes, flip patties using spatula. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to get a sear on the second side.
Step 5: Add Cheese (Optional)
After flipping, if desired, top each patty with a slice of cheese like cheddar or Swiss. Let melt for 1 minute before removing from pan.
Step 6: Toast Buns
While patties are cooking, toast burger buns to your liking.
Step 7: Assemble Burgers
Add cooked Beyond Meat patties to bottom bun. Top with desired toppings like lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles etc. and top bun.
Step 8: Serve and Enjoy
Transfer fully assembled burgers to individual plates or a serving platter. Serve immediately and enjoy this satisfying meatless meal.
Tips & Tricks for the Perfect Beyond Meat Burgers
Here are some of my personal tips and tricks for getting the best results when making Beyond Meat burgers at home:
- Handle the patties gently when shaping them. I’ve found pressing too hard makes them dense.
- Let the patties come to room temperature before grilling or pan-frying. I’ve noticed cooking them straight from the fridge leads to uneven cooking.
- Use a heavy skillet or grill pan to achieve a nice sear on the veggie patties. Cast iron is my personal favorite.
- Don’t move the patties after placing them in the pan. Giving them time to sear helps that crispy crust develop.
- Feel free to get creative with toppings! I like using guacamole or chimichurri sauce for a flavorful twist.
- For easy cleanup, line your skillet with foil or use a little cooking spray before adding the patties.
- Cook Beyond burgers to an internal temperature of at least 165°F to ensure they’re heated through completely.
- Storing leftover cooked patties? Refrigerate in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Want to make these burgers vegan? Use vegan cheese and mayo for plant-based toppings.
What oil should I use to cook Beyond burgers?
I recommend avocado oil for its high smoke point and subtle flavor that pairs well. Olive and coconut oil also work nicely.
How long do cooked Beyond burgers last in the fridge?
Store cooked Beyond patties in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Can I freeze raw Beyond Meat patties?
Yes! Freeze patties in a single layer then transfer to bags. Cook from frozen.
What’s the minimum internal temperature for Beyond burgers?
Cook Beyond patties to at least 165°F internal temperature to ensure they are fully heated through.
How can I make Beyond burgers vegan?
Use vegan cheese and mayo. You can also use vegan butter or oil on the buns.
Beyond Meat Burger
- burger toppings
- Beyond Meat patties
- Hamburger buns
- Cheese slices optional
- Lettuce tomato, onion
- Cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season patties with salt and pepper.
- Cook 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add cheese slices in last 1 minute (if using).
- Toast buns.
- Build burgers and enjoy!
- Let patties come to room temperature before cooking.
- Cook to internal temperature of 165°F.
I hope this easy homemade Beyond Meat burger recipe convinces you to give these satisfying plant-based patties a try. Once you sink your teeth into one, I know you’ll be hooked!
For more vegetarian BBQ inspiration, be sure to subscribe to my email newsletter and follow along on Instagram and Facebook. I love connecting with fellow foodies and sharing new recipes and cooking tips.
Let me know how your Beyond Burgers turn out by leaving a comment below! I’d love to hear your feedback and unique flavor variations.
Help spread plant-powered positivity by sharing this recipe on your favorite social channels. Tag me @shiftychevre so I can see your juicy DIY Beyond Burgers.