Lasagna is a classic Italian dish that has become popular worldwide for its rich layers of pasta, tomato sauce, and melted cheese. But for those who follow a vegan diet or are lactose intolerant, traditional cheese can be a no-go. Fortunately, there are many vegan ricotta cheese options available in the market that can add the same creamy texture and flavor to the dish.
Vegan ricotta cheese is made from plant-based ingredients like nuts, tofu, and soy milk. It is a healthier and cruelty-free alternative to traditional cheese that can be enjoyed by everyone. The taste of vegan ricotta cheese is similar to regular ricotta but with a slightly nuttier flavor, making it a perfect ingredient for lasagna.
The unique selling point of vegan ricotta cheese is that it is cholesterol-free and low in fat, making it a healthier alternative for those who want to indulge in a delicious lasagna without compromising on their health. In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the 10 best vegan ricotta cheese for lasagna that will make your next lasagna dish unforgettable.
Factors Used in Selection
When selecting the 10 best vegan ricotta cheese for lasagna, several factors were considered to ensure that the final list represents the top options available in the market. Some of the key factors that were used in the selection process include:
- Taste: The taste of the vegan ricotta cheese was a crucial factor in the selection process. The cheese had to have a rich, creamy texture and a flavor that closely resembled traditional ricotta cheese.
- Ingredients: The ingredients used to make the vegan ricotta cheese were also important. The cheese had to be made from high-quality plant-based ingredients that were organic, non-GMO, and free from any artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Texture: The texture of the vegan ricotta cheese was also considered. It had to be smooth and spreadable, with no grainy or lumpy texture.
- Nutritional Value: The nutritional value of the vegan ricotta cheese was also taken into account. The cheese had to be low in fat, calories, and cholesterol, while still being high in protein and other essential nutrients.
- Availability: The availability of the vegan ricotta cheese in the market was also considered. The cheese had to be easily accessible in stores or online, making it convenient for consumers to purchase.
By considering these factors, the 10 best vegan ricotta cheese for lasagna were selected, ensuring that they are delicious, healthy, and easily available for consumers to purchase.
What Are The 10 Best vegan Ricotta Cheese for Lasagna?
1. Kite Hill Almond Milk Ricotta
This almond milk-based ricotta alternative from Kite Hill is a fan favorite. It’s made with simple, clean ingredients and offers a rich, creamy texture that closely resembles traditional ricotta. It’s not too sweet, which makes it ideal for savory dishes like lasagna.
2. Tofutti Better Than Ricotta Cheese
Tofutti is well-known for its dairy-free products, and its ‘Better Than Ricotta Cheese‘ lives up to the brand’s reputation. This soy-based product boasts a light texture that’s excellent for layering in lasagna. It’s also kosher, gluten-free, and does not contain any hydrogenated oils.
3. Follow Your Heart Dairy-Free Ricotta
This brand is renowned for its wide variety of plant-based cheeses. The Dairy-Free Ricotta delivers a mild, subtly sweet flavor, making it perfect for lasagna. Made from organic, non-GMO ingredients, this option is a healthy choice for vegans and anyone looking to cut down on dairy.
4. Violife Just Like Ricotta
Violife is a Greek company known for its high-quality vegan products. Their ‘Just Like Ricotta’ cheese has a creamy texture and a slightly tangy flavor that works wonderfully in Italian dishes. It’s also free from soy, gluten, nuts, and preservatives, making it a safe choice for those with dietary restrictions.
5. Miyoko’s Creamery Vegan Ricotta
Miyoko’s Creamery is known for artisan vegan cheeses, and their vegan ricotta is no exception. Made from organic cashews and coconut cream, this product offers a rich, decadent flavor that’s sure to impress. It’s also gluten-free and non-GMO.
6. Daiya Dairy-Free Ricotta Style Cheese
Daiya is a popular brand in the vegan community and their dairy-free ricotta-style cheese is a testament to their commitment to quality. It offers a smooth and creamy texture with a slightly sweet taste, making it a great addition to lasagna. It’s also soy-free, gluten-free, and made from non-GMO ingredients.
7. Vromage Vegan Ricotta
A lesser-known brand, Vromage, offers an excellent vegan ricotta. It’s made from organic cashews, lending it a creamy texture and a rich, nutty flavor. It’s soy-free and gluten-free, making it suitable for those with dietary restrictions.
8. Nuttin Ordinary Plant-Based Ricotta
This cashew-based ricotta substitute from Nuttin Ordinary offers a probiotic twist. It’s made through a fermentation process that gives it a slightly tangy flavor, similar to traditional ricotta. It’s also soy-free, gluten-free, and free from added oils or thickeners.
9. Good Planet Plant-Based Ricotta Cheese
Good Planet’s plant-based ricotta cheese is free from soy, gluten, and nuts, making it a great option for those with allergies. The texture is light and creamy, and the flavor is subtly sweet, making it a good choice for lasagna.
10. The Honest Stand Garlic Parm Style Dip
While not technically a ricotta, The Honest Stand’s Garlic Parm Style Dip is a delicious and versatile substitute. Made with organic potatoes and cashews, it offers a creamy, garlicky, slightly cheesy flavor that blends well in lasagna. It’s gluten-free, soy-free, and contains no GMO ingredients.
Choosing the Right Vegan Ricotta Cheese for You
While all of these vegan ricotta cheeses are great choices for lasagna, the best one for you will depend on your personal taste and dietary needs. When choosing a vegan ricotta, consider the flavor, texture, and ingredients.
For example, if you prefer a ricotta with a slightly tangy flavor, Miyoko’s Creamery or Nuttin Ordinary might be your best bet. If you have dietary restrictions, brands like Violife, Good Planet, and Daiya offer allergen-free options.
While these store-bought options provide convenience, you can also consider making your own vegan ricotta at home. This way, you can control the ingredients and adjust the flavors to your liking. Homemade vegan ricotta can be made using tofu, cashews, or even almonds, and there are plenty of recipes available online.
Whether you choose a store-bought vegan ricotta or decide to make your own, you can enjoy delicious, creamy lasagna without compromising on your vegan lifestyle.