There’s nothing quite like sinking your teeth into a crispy, golden brown piece of chicken that’s been generously coated in a blend of savory spices and then fried to perfection. And at Texas Roadhouse, they take this classic dish to the next level.
Their Country Fried Chicken is made with fresh, never frozen chicken that’s hand-breaded in-house, giving it an unbeatable texture and flavor. And while some restaurants may skimp on the sides, Texas Roadhouse serves up their Country Fried Chicken with your choice of two hearty sides, making it a meal that’s sure to satisfy.
So if you’re looking for a taste of authentic southern cooking, look no further than Texas Roadhouse’s Country Fried Chicken. Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
Country Fried Chicken Recipe from Texas Roadhouse
- Large skillet or deep fryer
- – Tongs or slotted spoon
- – Wire rack
- Chicken pieces breasts, thighs, drumsticks, or a combination
- – Buttermilk
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper optional
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Soak the chicken pieces in buttermilk for at least 30 minutes, or overnight for maximum flavor.
- In a bowl, mix together flour, cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne pepper (if using) to create the coating mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or deep fryer to 350°F.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk, letting any excess drip off.
- Coat each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, making sure to shake off any excess.
- Carefully place the chicken in the hot oil, being sure not to overcrowd the skillet or fryer.
- Fry the chicken for 12-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F and the coating is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the chicken from the oil with tongs or a slotted spoon and place on a wire rack to drain any excess oil.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
– Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to your desired level of spiciness.
– Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and sides, such as mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, or green beans.
While Country Fried Chicken is a delicious and indulgent dish, it is important to note that it is high in calories, fat, and sodium. However, there are some nutritional benefits to this recipe:
- Protein: Chicken is a great source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues in the body.
- Iron: Chicken is also a good source of iron, which is important for carrying oxygen to the cells in the body.
- Calcium: Buttermilk, used in the recipe to soak the chicken, is a good source of calcium, which is important for building and maintaining strong bones.
- Vitamin B12: Chicken is a good source of vitamin B12, which is important for maintaining healthy nerve cells and red blood cells.
It is important to keep in mind that the nutritional benefits of this dish may be offset by the high calorie and fat content, as well as the potential negative health effects of consuming too much sodium. It is recommended to enjoy this dish in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
What are some ways to reduce the calorie and fat content of this dish?
While Country Fried Chicken is a delicious and indulgent dish, there are some ways to reduce the calorie and fat content:
- Use skinless chicken: Removing the skin from the chicken before frying can significantly reduce the calorie and fat content.
- Bake instead of fry: Instead of deep-frying the chicken, try baking it in the oven. This reduces the amount of oil needed and can significantly reduce the calorie and fat content.
- Use a lighter coating: Instead of using a flour-based coating, try using a mixture of breadcrumbs and spices. This can reduce the calorie and fat content while still providing a crispy coating.
- Use a healthier oil: If you do choose to fry the chicken, use a healthier oil such as canola or avocado oil instead of vegetable oil.
- Serve with healthier sides: Instead of serving the chicken with high-calorie sides such as mashed potatoes, try serving it with healthier options like roasted vegetables or a side salad.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
If you’re planning on making Country Fried Chicken at home, there are a few common mistakes that you should avoid to ensure that your dish turns out as delicious as possible. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Using chicken that is too thick: It’s important to use thin chicken breasts for this recipe, as thicker breasts may not cook evenly or may take longer to cook. If your chicken is too thick, pound it out to an even thickness before breading and frying.
- Not seasoning the chicken enough: Chicken can be a bit bland on its own, so make sure to season it well with salt, pepper, and any other spices or herbs that you like. This will help to enhance the flavor of the dish.
- Not properly coating the chicken: To achieve a crispy, golden brown crust, it’s important to properly coat the chicken in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Make sure to shake off any excess coating between each step to ensure an even coating.
- Overcrowding the pan: When frying the chicken, make sure not to overcrowd the pan as this can cause the temperature of the oil to drop and result in soggy chicken. Fry the chicken in batches if necessary.
- Not letting the chicken rest: After frying, it’s important to let the chicken rest on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving. This allows the crust to set and helps to prevent the chicken from becoming soggy.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
What is Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse?
Country Fried Chicken is a dish served at Texas Roadhouse that consists of a boneless chicken breast that has been breaded and deep-fried, and then topped with a creamy gravy. It is typically served with sides such as mashed potatoes, green beans, and rolls.
Is Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse gluten-free?
Unfortunately, Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse is not gluten-free as the breading contains wheat flour. However, there are other gluten-free options available on the menu.
How many calories are in Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse?
The number of calories in Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse can vary depending on the specific recipe and portion size. However, on average, a serving of Country Fried Chicken with sides can contain anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 calories.
Can you order Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse for takeout?
Yes, you can order Country Fried Chicken for takeout or delivery from Texas Roadhouse. However, it is best to call ahead to check availability and to place your order in advance.
Is Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse spicy?
The level of spiciness in Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse can vary depending on the recipe and any added spices or seasonings. However, it is generally not a spicy dish and is suitable for most palates.
Can you customize the sides that come with Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse?
Yes, you can customize the sides that come with Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse. Some popular side options include baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, and Caesar salad. It is best to check with your server to see if customization is available and if any additional charges may apply.
Is Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse a healthy option?
Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse is not typically considered a healthy option due to its high calorie and fat content. However, it can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Texas Roadhouse also offers lighter menu options for those who are looking for healthier choices.
The Country Fried Chicken at Texas Roadhouse is a beloved dish that combines crispy, juicy chicken with a rich and creamy gravy. While it may not be the healthiest option on the menu, it is certainly a tasty and satisfying comfort food that is perfect for a special occasion or a treat.
If you’re looking to recreate this classic dish at home, there are many recipes available online that can guide you through the process. With a little bit of time and effort, you can enjoy this savory dish in the comfort of your own home.