Hey there, let me introduce you to the ultimate side dish that will take your taste buds on a delicious journey. I’m talking about the mouthwatering Easy Air Fryer Home Fries with Peppers and Onions! This recipe is perfect for those who want to add a twist to the classic home fries dish.
These home fries are made with your choice of potatoes (russet or Yukon gold), and what makes them unique is the addition of colorful bell peppers and onions that add a savory and slightly sweet flavor to the dish. The combination of olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper creates a tasty seasoning that enhances the natural flavor of the potatoes and vegetables.
One of the best things about this recipe is how easy it is to prepare! Believe me, you won’t regret trying out this recipe! In fact, our article on Air Fryer Croquettes recipe received so much positive feedback, and we’re confident that this recipe will be just as popular.
- Potatoes: Choose your preferred potatoes, such as russet or Yukon gold, and wash them thoroughly. Leave the skin on for added texture and nutrients.
- Bell peppers: Use a combination of colorful bell peppers, such as red, yellow, and green. Slice them into thin strips for even cooking.
- Onion: Slice a medium-sized onion into thin strips or rings to add a savory flavor to the dish.
- Olive oil: Drizzle the potatoes, peppers, and onions with olive oil to enhance their flavor and achieve a crispy texture.
- Seasonings: Customize the flavors with your favorite seasonings, such as garlic powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
- Air fryer: This essential kitchen appliance uses hot air circulation to achieve crispy and evenly cooked home fries without excessive oil.
- Mixing bowl: A bowl is needed to combine the potatoes, peppers, onions, oil, and seasonings, ensuring they are evenly coated before air frying.
- Cutting board and knife: These tools are necessary for cutting the potatoes, bell peppers, and onions into desired shapes and sizes for the recipe.
- Serving dish: Once the home fries are cooked to perfection, a serving dish is used to present them in an appealing and appetizing manner.
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer
Set your air fryer to preheat at 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes while you prepare the ingredients.
Step 2: Prepare the potatoes
Cut the potatoes into bite-sized cubes or wedges. Place them in a mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Add the desired seasonings and toss until the potatoes are evenly coated.
Step 3: Add the peppers and onions
Add the sliced bell peppers and onions to the bowl with the seasoned potatoes. Gently toss to combine, ensuring that the vegetables are well-distributed among the potatoes.
Step 4: Air fry the home fries
Transfer the potato, pepper, and onion mixture to the preheated air fryer basket. Spread them out in a single layer, making sure they don’t overlap. Cook the home fries in the air fryer for about 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket or tossing the potatoes halfway through the cooking time.
Step 5: Check for doneness
After the cooking time is complete, check the home fries for doneness. They should be golden brown and crispy on the outside, with a tender interior. If needed, cook for an additional few minutes until they reach your desired level of crispiness.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy
Once the home fries are cooked to perfection, transfer them to a serving dish. These flavorful air fryer home fries with peppers and onions are a delightful side dish that pairs well with breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They are great alongside eggs, grilled meats, or as a tasty addition to a wrap or sandwich.
Tips and Variations
- Spice it up: If you prefer a spicier kick, add a sprinkle of chili powder or cayenne pepper to the seasonings for an extra flavor boost.
- Add herbs: Consider adding fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or parsley to enhance the aroma and taste of the home fries.
- Experiment with different peppers: While bell peppers are commonly used, you can also try using other types of peppers like poblano, jalapeño, or banana peppers for a different flavor profile.
Storage and Reheating
Air fryer home fries with peppers and onions are best enjoyed immediately after cooking. However, if you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place the home fries in the air fryer at 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes until they are heated through and crispy again.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I prevent the home fries from sticking to the air fryer basket?
To prevent sticking, make sure to spread the potatoes and vegetables in a single layer without overcrowding the basket.
Can I use a different type of oil instead of olive oil?
Yes, you can use other oils like avocado oil or vegetable oil if desired.
Can I use frozen peppers and onions?
While fresh is recommended for best results, you can use frozen peppers and onions, but ensure they are thawed and well-drained.
Is it safe to store the leftovers at room temperature?
No, it is recommended to store any leftovers in the refrigerator to maintain freshness and prevent bacterial growth.
Is it possible to make these home fries oil-free?
While the use of a small amount of oil enhances flavor and texture, you can experiment with oil-free alternatives like using cooking spray or simply relying on the natural moisture of the vegetables.
Can I substitute the bell peppers with a different type of pepper?
Yes, you can swap the bell peppers with spicier options like jalapeños or milder options like banana peppers, depending on your preference.
Easy Air Fryer Home Fries with Peppers and Onions
- Air fryer
- Mixing bowl
- Cutting board
- Serving dish
- Potatoes russet or Yukon gold
- Bell peppers red, yellow, and green
- Olive oil
- Seasonings garlic powder, paprika, salt, black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes while preparing the ingredients.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly and cut them into bite-sized cubes or wedges.
- Place the potatoes in a mixing bowl and drizzle them with olive oil. Add the desired seasonings and toss until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Slice the bell peppers into thin strips and the onion into thin strips or rings.
- Add the sliced bell peppers and onions to the bowl with the seasoned potatoes. Gently toss to combine, ensuring even distribution of the vegetables.
- Transfer the potato, pepper, and onion mixture to the preheated air fryer basket, spreading them out in a single layer to avoid overlapping.
- Cook the home fries in the air fryer for approximately 15-20 minutes. Shake the basket or toss the potatoes halfway through the cooking time.
- Check the home fries for doneness. They should be golden brown and crispy on the outside with a tender interior. Cook for an additional few minutes if needed.
- Once cooked to perfection, transfer the home fries to a serving dish.
- Serve and enjoy as a flavorful side dish with breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
- For a spicier kick, add chili powder or cayenne pepper to the seasonings.
- Enhance the aroma and taste by adding fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or parsley.
- Experiment with different types of peppers like poblano, jalapeño, or banana peppers for unique flavor profiles.