Dragon fruit is a tropical fruit with flavor and delicate taste. Over the years, it has become popular with its numerous health benefits. What does dragon fruit taste like?
Unlike the nature of tropical fruits, It may surprise you that unripe dragon fruit has no taste or flavor. But when it is ripe, it tastes acidic but sweet and juicy with a firm, creamy flesh. Depending on the variety, it can have a mild blend of pear and kiwi or taste like watermelon.
Here are some essential facts about dragon fruit that you’ll find valuable – from what makes it unique to its benefits and lots more.
What Is Dragon Fruit?
Dragon fruit is a tropical fruit with different varieties. Its creamy and watery white flesh with tiny black and edible seeds makes it a good choice of fruit for eating and blending with food items. It contains a good dose of vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants that help to keep human calories in check.
The scientific name for dragon fruit is Pitaya, but it is nicknamed strawberry fruit in some areas where they cultivate it. Although dragon fruit is popular and has numerous benefits, it isn’t a common fruit you can find anywhere. It is mainly produced in Peru, Mexico, and other subtropical locations.
The name “Dragon fruit” was coined from its appearance – it doesn’t have a smooth outer texture, but it is oval-shaped with a pointy skin that depicts the body of a Dragon. It comes in four varieties with up to 20 different species that all contain great benefits for human consumption.
Humans describe Dragon fruits by their variety of colors and level of juiciness. These varieties include,
- White – considered the smallest and less sweet.
- Red with white pulp – this is usually seen in a reddish pink. It is sweet and juicy enough to use in cocktails and food sweetening.
- Yellow with white pulp. – this is the sweetest dragon fruit of all that has a lovely flavor, but they are readily available.
- Pink dragon fruit (purple, white, and pink pulp). This variety is more significant and sweeter than white.
In addition, the Dragon fruit plant serves as a great protective barrier and hedge in warm areas. It produces flowers that are 30 cm long and 17cm wide. This flower only opens at night.
What Does Dragon Fruit Taste Like
What dragon fruits taste like cannot be generalized because the taste depends on the variety of your choice. However, the fruit is delicate and mild. It has a blend of kiwi and pear. Unlike many tropical fruits, it doesn’t produce any flavor when it’s unripe.
But when it’s ripe, it becomes creamy and juicy. Dragon seeds and skins are also edible. These edible seeds unlock a new level of crunchiness to the thrilling taste sensation it offers.
You may be wondering how to eat dragon fruit. Here’s the deal,
- Rinse it with cold water.
- Peel and cut it into small sections.
- Take out the fleshy skin and eat it.
- You can also use it as a topping for your food, smoothie, and drinks.
What’s The Difference Between Red Dragon Fruit And White Dragon Fruit?
Although dragon fruits have a blend of sweet and sour tastes, the color also determines the taste of the fruit. The red dragon fruit is known to be sweeter and juicier than the white dragon fruit. Also, red is richer in antioxidants than white.
- The white dragon fruit is usually more pinkish.
- The red dragon fruit usually has a dark red color.
- The white dragon fruit is usually more giant.
- The red dragon fruit is usually smaller in size.
- The scales on the white dragon fruit are separate and few.
- The scales on the red dragon fruit are dense and many.
Red dragon fruit contains vitamin C and other antioxidants like catechins and anthocyanins. Vitamins and these antioxidants are suitable for the immune system because they help boost the iron level.
White dragon fruit is a rich source of Vitamin A, which helps to improve the health of the human eye. Though it contains antioxidants, it isn’t as rich as red dragon fruit.
What Are The Benefits Of Eating Dragon Fruit?
Want to burn your calories naturally? Dragon fruit is a whole package that helps you achieve that without stress. Talk of diabetic prevention, skin care treatment, hair growth enhancement, and cancer prevention, the benefits of this super fruit are endless.
Dragon fruits are high in nutrients, essential vitamins, and minerals like
- 3 grams of protein
- 29 grams of Carbohydrates
- 7 grams of Fiber
- 8 grams of Iron
- 9 grams of Vitamin C
- 4 grams of Vitamin E
- 107 grams of calcium
- 18 grams of magnesium
Here are other benefits that will amaze you.
- Dragon fruit contains vitamins and minerals that help to prevent respiratory diseases. These respiratory disorders could be colds, coughs, and asthma.
- Dragon fruit is a rich source of carbohydrates. These carbohydrates provide flora that helps prevent constipation and aid smooth digestion.
- As a great source of Vitamin C, Dragon fruit plays a vital role in boosting your immune system and keeping you healthy.
- When your system is full of unstable molecules, it causes cell damage, which leads to inflammation and chronic diseases like heart disease and arthritis. Dragon fruit is rich in antioxidants that help you reduce the risk of having these chronic diseases.
- The dragon fruit with red pulp contains a nutrient known as Betalains. These betalains help to reduce cholesterol that may cause heart diseases. Also, the black seeds rich in omega-3 fatty acids help reduce the risk of contracting cardiovascular disease.
- If you blend dragon fruit and apply it to your face and skin for 20 minutes daily, it will help you maintain healthy and glowy skin.
- Dragon fruit keeps your body weight in check and regulates your blood pressure.
How Can You Differentiate White Dragon Fruit From Red Dragon Fruit?
You can differentiate the white dragon fruit from the red dragon fruit through the skin, the scales, and the size. While the white dragon fruit has few scales and is bigger, the red dragon fruit is smaller and has many scales. Also, the skin of the white dragon fruit is pink, while that of the red dragon fruit is dark red.
You can also know the difference between white and red dragon fruit through its nutritional value. For instance, all dragon fruits have antioxidants, but only red dragon fruit contains more antioxidants.
The white dragon fruit has a pink pulp, while the red dragon fruit has a white pulp. Also, the red dragon fruit is sweeter than the white dragon fruit. While you can use the red dragon fruit to complement any meal, you can only use the white dragon fruit to complement selected meals like smoothies and fruit salad.
Due to the high antioxidant, red dragon fruit has a more nutritious value than white dragon fruit.
The taste of dragon fruit differs from type to type. No two dragon fruits taste the same. For instance, the white dragon fruit is sweet, but the red dragon fruit has a sweeter and more appealing taste than it. So, when you want to blend dragon fruits into your meal, consider the flavor to avoid making your food sour.