Cottage cheese is a product of pasteurized cow milk that is rich in protein and has low calories. It comes in varieties, and each has a unique taste. If you’ve not used it before, you’d want to know what does cottage cheese taste like?
Cottage cheese has a salty taste. It also has a smooth and creamy texture with a mild and subtle flavor. Similarly, the level of milk fat and sodium also determines the taste. If the fat in cottage cheese is high, it will taste sweet. But, if it has a low variety of fat, the cheese taste will turn sour.
While some feel that cottage cheese is creamy and sweet, others describe it as bland and tasteless. If you want to add cottage cheese to your food, you’ll want to ensure that it adds flavor to your diet. This article has all the information you need about cottage cheese and how to make it taste better.
Does Cottage Cheese Taste Good?
Cottage cheese tastes good. But sometimes, the taste depends on the brand and type of milk used in manufacturing it. Cottage cheese doesn’t just have good taste, but it is also rich in protein and essential nutrients that improve the human system.
Cottage cheese has nutrients and minerals like protein, vitamins, calcium, and selenium that contain many health benefits that will keep you in good health for as long as possible. Aside from that, it is a good option for athletes and people who wish to lose weight. Here are other super benefits of cottage cheese.
Health Benefits Of Cottage Cheese
|Sodium||30% of grams|
- Cottage cheese contains a large amount of calcium and vitamin D found in dairy products. This calcium and vitamin D also plays a vital role in reducing the risk of cancer infection.
- Cottage cheese contains phosphorus, an essential food supplement that is good for women during pregnancy. It also has folates that produce red blood cells and keep the heart healthy.
- It contains a large amount of calcium that helps build strong bones in children and adults. This calcium also helps to prevent osteoporosis which commonly affects pregnant women.
- As a cheese that’s mildly sugary with a salty taste, cottage cheese helps to keep a person’s sugar level in check.
- The phosphorus it contains doesn’t only help pregnant women, it aids digestion as well.
- Cottage cheese reduces the risk of a person developing heart disease. It also provides nutrients that help to relieve cramps and sore muscles.
- Cottage cheese contains a high level of carbohydrate that provides energy. This high level of carbohydrates also makes it a healthy breakfast choice.
- It contains potassium as a food supplement that regulates the system and blood pressure.
Can Cottage Cheese Go Bad?
Like other dairy products, cottage cheese can go bad. Some people believe it has a lifespan of about two weeks, but that’s not absolute. When cottage cheese is unopened, it can last up to 5 days in the fridge. When it is open, it can last up to 7 days.
How To Tell If Cottage Cheese Is Bad
- By Smell
When cottage cheese goes bad, the smell will stink and turn sour.
Naturally, water forms on cottage cheese, but there’s a level it can go. If the water forms on top in a large quantity and the body of the cheese is solid, then it’s time to discard the cheese. When you mix it, and the water melts into a solid, it’s still fresh. But if the water separates, the cheese is bad.
Although some cottage cheeses are slightly yellow depending on the cow milk used. When cheese goes bad, the color will change. If it’s yellow, it will deepen; if it’s white, it will look milky.
However, to prevent your cottage cheese from going bad, you can store it in the refrigerator. Doing this will keep it fresh for a long time. Cottage cheese easily adapts to the smell of other food items, but you can avoid this. To store it properly,
- Put it into a tightly sealed container.
- Double-seal it by wrapping it with foil and tying it with a rubber band.
- Put it into a Maytag bag and store it in the refrigerator.
Can I Make Cottage Cheese Taste Better?
There are several ways you can make your cottage cheese taste better. You can use it as toppings for your salad, blend it into your smoothie, or take it with yogurt. You can also make your cheese taste better by adding fruits like strawberries, cherries, pineapples, etc., to it.
Here are other ways you can make cottage cheese taste better
- Adding sweetness to It
Anything sweet blends well with cottage cheese. You can improve the taste by adding sugar to it. You can also add sweet fruits like strawberries, apples, cherries, pineapple, oranges, or any other fruits of your choice.
- Adding Spice To Make It Savoury
You can make your cottage cheese spicy by adding it to your raw vegetables like carrots, cucumber, and tomato. You can also make it spicy by adding spicy flavors like chili peppers, cinnamon powder, chili flakes, tabasco, etc., to it.
- Adding It To Your Smoothie
Using cottage cheese to thicken your smoothie or milkshake is one delicious way to make it taste better. It’s not even enough to blend it in. You can also add fruits like berries and bananas to the blend. Doing this doesn’t just taste good. It allows you to eat a balanced meal.
You can also use cottage cheese to make french fries, potato salad, pancakes, pizza, etc. Asides this, you can also use cottage cheese as a replacement for mayonnaise.
Cottage cheese has a salty taste with a creamy and smooth texture. Asides from giving you a sweet blend of a balanced meal when you combine it with your food, it contains essential nutrients that will help boost your immune system and keep you fit. So, when you think of adding a little creamy spice to your meals, it is one of the best options.