As more and more people adopt dietary needs, finding delicious and healthy recipes that cater to those needs can be challenging. If you follow a gluten-free or vegetarian diet, you’d know how tricky it can be to find flavourful foods that meet your dietary restrictions.
Luckily, we have an amazing recipe that meets these requirements and is packed with savory flavors that will make your taste buds dance. Our Gluten-free & Vegetarian savory Herb Gravy Recipe is perfect for adding a rich, hearty, and delicious touch to any meal.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or vegan butter: The butter adds richness and a smooth texture to the gravy. You can use vegan butter as a substitute if you prefer a vegan option.
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour: The gluten-free all-purpose flour is a thickening agent for the gravy. It helps create a smooth and velvety texture without using wheat-based flour.
- 2 cups vegetable broth: Vegetable broth forms the gravy base, providing a savory and flavorful liquid. It adds depth and richness to the overall taste.
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder: Garlic powder adds a subtle hint of garlic flavor to the gravy, enhancing its savory profile.
- 1/4 tsp onion powder: Onion powder contributes a mild flavor to the gravy, adding depth and complexity to the overall taste.
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme: Dried thyme is an aromatic herb that imparts the gravy a savory and earthy taste. It adds a layer of herbal flavor that complements the other ingredients.
- 1/2 tsp dried sage: Dried sage brings a robust and slightly peppery flavor to the gravy. It adds a warm and earthy note to the overall taste profile.
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary: Dried rosemary adds a distinct pine-like aroma and flavor to the gravy. It provides a subtle hint of herbal essence, enhancing the overall taste experience.
- Salt and pepper to taste: Salt and pepper are essential for gravy seasoning. They help balance the flavors and bring out the natural tastes of the other ingredients. The amount of salt and pepper can be adjusted according to personal preference.
- Saucepan: A saucepan is essential for cooking the gravy on the stovetop. It provides a wide and shallow cooking surface, allowing for even heat distribution and efficient ingredients simmering. The size of the saucepan should be appropriate to accommodate the amount of liquid and allow room for whisking.
- Whisk: A whisk is a crucial tool for making gravy. It helps combine the ingredients thoroughly, preventing any lumps from forming. Whisking also aids in creating a smooth and velvety texture by incorporating air into the mixture.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Accurate measurements are essential for consistent results in cooking. Measuring cups and spoons allow you to precisely measure the amounts of ingredients, such as butter, flour, and herbs. They ensure the proportions are correct, which is crucial for the gravy to turn out as intended.
How To Make Gluten-Free & Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy
Gravy is a delicious addition to any meal, and this gluten-free and vegetarian savory herb gravy recipe is sure to please. It is perfect for those who avoid gluten and meat products but want to enjoy a flavorful and satisfying gravy. This recipe is easy to make and is versatile enough to complement a variety of dishes.
Here’s a step-by-step explanation of how to make it.
Step 1: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat
Add the unsalted or vegan butter to a saucepan and melt over medium heat.
Step 2: Add the gluten-free all-purpose flour and whisk until combined
Add the gluten-free all-purpose flour once the butter has melted and whisk until combined. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is golden brown.
Step 3: Slowly pour in the vegetable broth while whisking continuously
Slowly pour in the vegetable broth while whisking continuously to prevent lumps. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried sage, and dried rosemary, and whisk until well combined.
Step 4: Simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until the gravy thickens
Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until the gravy thickens. Stir occasionally to ensure the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: Remove from heat and serve
Once the gravy has reached the desired consistency, remove it from the heat and serve it with your favorite dish.
Tips and tricks for making the best Gluten Free & Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy Recipe
Making a delicious and flavorful vegetarian gravy can be challenging, but it is achievable with the right ingredients and techniques. Here are some tips and tricks to help you make the best gluten-free and vegetarian savory herb gravy recipe:
- Use a high-quality vegetable broth: A flavorful broth is key to making a delicious gravy. Use a high-quality vegetable broth or make your own from scratch.
- Don’t rush the roux: A roux is made by cooking flour and fat together and is the base for the gravy. Cook the roux over low heat to avoid burning and to ensure it’s fully cooked.
- Use fresh herbs: Fresh herbs will give your gravy a brighter, more vibrant flavor. If possible, use fresh herbs instead of dried ones.
- Season to taste: Taste your gravy and adjust the seasoning as needed. If it needs more salt or pepper, add it in small amounts until you achieve the desired flavor.
- Use a whisk: A whisk is the best tool for making a smooth gravy. Use it to mix the ingredients and to break up any lumps.
- Serve it hot: Gravy is best served hot, so reheat it if it cools down before serving.
By following these tips and tricks, you can make a delicious and flavorful Gluten Free & Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy that will be a hit at your next meal
Nutritional Benefits Of Gluten Free & Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy
Gluten-free and vegetarian diets have gained popularity recently due to their numerous health benefits.
Savory herb gravy is a great addition to any meal, especially when made using gluten-free and vegetarian ingredients. This type of gravy is delicious and packed with essential nutrients that are beneficial for the body. Here are some of the nutritional benefits of gluten Free gravy;
- Low in Calories: This gravy is low in calories, making it a healthier option for those trying to maintain a healthy weight or reduce their calorie intake.
- Gluten-free: As the name suggests, this gravy is gluten-free, which makes it a safe option for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease.
- High in Vitamins and Minerals: This gravy recipe contains various herbs and vegetables, which are high in vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, and calcium.
- Vegan and Vegetarian-friendly: This recipe is vegan and vegetarian-friendly, making it a great option for those who follow a plant-based diet.
- Low in Fat: This recipe uses minimal fat, making it a healthy option for those watching their fat intake.
Gluten-Free Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy Is Best Served With?
Its rich and velvety texture and burst of savory flavors can transform the simplest of meals into a culinary delight.
- Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Vegetables
- Lentil Loaf
- Tofu Cutlets
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Quinoa Pilaf
- Cauliflower Steaks
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
- Vegan Meatballs
- Gluten-Free Biscuits
- Rice and Beans
- Steamed Asparagus
- Vegetable Shepherd’s Pie
- Savory Stuffed Mushrooms
- Chickpea Stew
- Gluten-Free Pasta
- Veggie Burgers
- Grilled Eggplant
- Wild Rice Stuffing
Storage Tips for Gluten-Free Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy
But what happens when you have leftover gravy? How can you ensure its flavors remain fresh and delicious for future meals?
- Portion Control: Divide your gravy into smaller portions before storage. This way, you can thaw or reheat only the necessary amount, avoiding unnecessary waste. Smaller portions also tend to thaw or reheat more evenly.
- Labeling and Dating: Always label your containers or bags with the date of preparation. This practice ensures you know the freshness of the gravy and helps you avoid consuming it beyond its safe storage period. Also, label any special variations or added ingredients, such as extra spices or alternative thickening agents.
- Refrigerator Storage: If you plan to use the gravy within a few days, store it in the refrigerator. Ensure the lid is tightly sealed to prevent air exposure. Stored properly, your gluten-free,, vegetarian savory herb gravy can last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezing the Gravy: To extend the shelf life of your savory herb gravy, freezing is an excellent option. Pour the gravy into freezer bags or airtight containers, leaving some headspace accommodating expansion. Lay the bags flat to freeze, making stacking them easier and saving freezer space.
- Thawing and Reheating: When ready to enjoy your frozen gravy, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator. Avoid using a microwave for thawing, as it can cause uneven heating and compromise the taste and texture. To reheat, gently warm the gravy in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until heated.
- Quality Check: Before serving your stored gravy, check it quickly. Look for any signs of spoilage, such as an off smell, mold growth, or unusual texture. Discarding the gravy is best to avoid potential health risks if anything seems off.
Gluten-Free Vegetarian Savory Herb Gravy
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter or vegan butter
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and then Add the unsalted or vegan butter to a saucepan and melt over medium heat.
- Add the gluten-free all-purpose flour once the butter has melted and whisk until combined. Whisk for 1-2 minutes until the mixture is golden brown.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable broth while whisking continuously to prevent lumps. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, dried sage, and dried rosemary, and whisk until well combined.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until the gravy thickens. Stir occasionally to ensure the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the gravy has reached the desired consistency, remove it from the heat and serve it with your favorite dish.
By using a combination of nutritious ingredients such as vegetable broth, gluten-free flour, and a medley of aromatic herbs, this gravy recipe satisfies your taste buds and nourishes your body. It’s a versatile recipe that can be enjoyed with various dishes, from roasted vegetables to mashed potatoes and beyond.
What makes this recipe truly exceptional is its adaptability. It caters to individuals with dietary restrictions, ensuring everyone can savor a flavorful gravy without compromising their health or beliefs. Whether following a gluten-free diet, vegetarian, or simply looking for a lighter alternative to traditional gravy, this recipe ticks all the boxes.
Moreover, making this savory herb gravy from scratch gives you full control over your ingredients. You can personalize the flavors by adjusting the herbs and seasonings according to your preferences. It’s a chance to get creative in the kitchen and explore this recipe’s many possibilities.