Salmon is one of the fresh seafood that is low in saturated fats. It contains rich nutrients like omega-3 and selenium. Whether you’re baking at 350 F in the oven or using an air fryer, you just want to know how long to bake marinated salmon at 350 F to bring out its perfect taste.
A perfectly baked salmon takes 20 – 25 minutes to get done. But that time frame is for baking in the oven. If you’re baking on a grill or air fryer, it will take lesser time of 15 – 20 minutes. Regardless, not all cooking methods are the same.
If your oven produces more heat or your grill burns faster, your salmon will take lesser time to bake. This article is well-detailed with all the juicy details you need on how long to bake marinated salmon at 350 F to perfection.
What Is The Best Temperature To Bake Salmon?
The best temperature to bake salmon is 145 °F. However, it varies according to the thickness of the salmon. Some could take 350 F, while some can rise as high as 400 F. You can also bake salmon at a temperature as low as 120 F.
Whatever temperature you use, the aim is to bake the salmon at a rate that would make it turn out well without burning or drying out.
A well-baked salmon should make so much sense – flaky, tender, and soft that it would almost melt in your mouth once you take a bite. Getting it right with your marinated salmon may seem easy, but it’s kinda tricky. From the preparation to the marination and the baking process, you may end up making a mess of your kitchen without getting the desired result.
Here’s a quick rundown of the best temperature to bake salmon:
- Frozen salmon – 425 °F
- Extra-thick salmon – 350 to 400 °F.
- Thick salmon – 145 °F
- Farm-raised salmon( firm and lightly silk) – 125 °F
- Wild salmon(usually thin) – 120 °F (this bakes within a lesser period because it has less fat).
How To Bake Salmon At 350 F: Step-By-Step Process
How to bake salmon at 350 F depends on the thickness of each fillet. A 6-ounce salmon fillet takes 15 – 20 minutes to bake, while a 3 – 4-ounce takes 20 – 25 minutes to bake. You can simply wash your salmon, place it inside the pot, then add ingredients to cook, but that’s not the best way.
The step-by-step process of how to bake salmon at 350 F is quite simple and easy.
Step 1 – Prepare The Salmon
- Start by washing or defrosting it.
- Peel off the skin if you like it without the skin.
- Dab it with a clean kitchen or paper towel to keep it dry.
- Cut the salmon into your preferred fillets
Step 2 – Prepare Your Ingredients
The amount of ingredients depends on the quantity of your salmon. Also, the choice depends on your preference. The main ingredients include,
- Melted butter
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder(optional)
- Seasoning cubes, salt, and pepper.
- Curry or parsley leaves(optional)
- Soy sauce
- Lemon juice
- Peel, wash, and cut your onions into your desired shape (ring-shaped or chopped).
- If you don’t have melted butter, cut your margarine into pieces. Put them into a pot or pan and place them over light flames from your cooker till it melts completely.
- Chop your tomatoes in circles and set aside.
Step 3 – Marinate Your Salmon
- Dip a brush into the melted butter and coat the salmon with it.
- Place your salmon fillets inside a clean bowl.
- Add your onions, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, and seasoning cube to it, then mix properly.
- Add the soy sauce and lemon juice to the mix and stir properly.
- Wrap each salmon fillet in plastic wrap and store it inside the refrigerator for up to 1 hour.
Step 4 – Prepare The Method You Choose To Use (Oven, Grill, Or Air Fryer)
- For baking in the oven, preheat it for 5 minutes, then set it to a temperature suitable for the size of your salmon.
- For the grill method, preheat it for 6-8minutes, then set it to a medium temperature of 135 F. If your fillet is thick, increase the temperature.
- For the air fryer method, preheat for 6 minutes and set the temperature to a medium of 135 F.
Step 5 – Top Up The Fillets
You can use any top-up of your choice. Tomatoes, curry leaves or parsley, minced garlic, lemon slices, cucumber, and red pepper flakes are all good toppings.
Step 6 – Bake Until Flaky
To know if the salmon is well-baked, use a fork or spatula to cut out a piece. The salmon should be soft and easy to cut.
Does Marinated Salmon Cook Faster?
Yes, marinated salmon cooks faster. Asides from that, it adds more flavor and taste to it. Allowing the marinated salmon to rest for about an hour reduces the baking time and also prevents it from drying while baking.
However, the ideal time to marinate salmon is 30 minutes to 1 hour. If you marinate it for too long or keep it overnight, it can cause the fish to become too soggy. If you use an acid-based marinade, the maximum time to marinate is 15-20 minutes. If you go above that, the salmon will break.
You wouldn’t want your salmon to break or lose its sweetness, so it’s best to always stick to the right marinating time frame of 30 minutes to 1 hour.
How Long To Bake Marinated Salmon At 350
Baking is an excellent way to prepare your salmon. It doesn’t make the salmon taste nice, it makes it healthier too. The minimum time to bake marinated salmon at 350 is 20 minutes, while the maximum is 25 minutes. If you’re using a grill or air fryer, it will take a lesser time of 15-20 minutes to bake.
However, larger salmon fillets take longer to cook. This means that if you’re baking the whole fish at a go, it can take up to 30 minutes to bake. But, no matter the size of your salmon, the baking time shouldn’t exceed 30 minutes.
How Long To Bake Marinated Salmon At 350 F In The Oven
There are two ways to bake marinated salmon in the oven – baking with a foil wrap or uncovered. It doesn’t matter if you bake the salmon with the foil wrap or uncovered. It will take a minimum of 20 minutes and a maximum of 25 minutes to bake.
The foil wrap traps the moisture inside and prevents it from escaping while baking. Once the salmon is ready for eating, the exterior will be moist. If you want the fish to be crispy, bake it uncovered.
To begin the baking process in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, take the salmon out of the refrigerator and defrost it.
- Top the salmon with any filling of your choice. You can use tomatoes, parsley, minced garlic, and onions.
- Cover the baking tray or dish with parchment paper(use vegetable oil to oil the pan or baking dish if you don’t have a baking sheet. If you want a crispy salmon, place it uncovered on the baking tray, then place slices of lemon around it. This lemon helps to enhance the flavor of the salmon. If you want it moist, place the slices of lemon inside the foil with the salmon and wrap it.
- To know if well-baked, use a fork or spatula to cut a piece of the salmon. If you get a flaky texture, you’re good to go.
How Long To Bake Marinated Salmon At 350 F In An Air Fryer
It takes a minimum of 15 minutes to bake marinated salmon with an air fryer. Depending on the thickness of your salmon, the time can get up to 18 minutes. Regardless, the air fryer bakes faster than the oven, so the maximum time to bake marinated salmon with an air fryer shouldn’t exceed 20 minutes.
Baking marinated salmon with the skin in the air fryer is the best method to adopt when baking with an air fryer. The reason is that the salmon skin prevents the air fryer from sticking to the air fryer basket when baking.
For this method,
- Use paper towels to dry the moisture on the salmon fillets. If frozen, defrost them by keeping them in a warm place for a while.
- To marinate, coat the salmon with melted butter, then mix the ingredients like minced garlic, pepper, onions, seasoning, and any other of your choice.
- Place them into the preheated air fryer.
- Bake until it becomes tender and light brown.
There you have it! The simple and easy steps on how long to bake marinated salmon at 350. Baking marinated salmon at 350 is quite simple, yet a bit tricky because of the temperature differences. With the tips we’ve shared in this article, you’re sure to get the best results.