Cream of broccoli soup is a classic comfort food that is loved by many. This thick and creamy soup is made with fresh broccoli, cream, and a few other simple ingredients. It’s a delicious and nutritious dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or as a starter. In this blog post, we will discuss the perfect accompaniments to serve with this mouth-watering soup.
The history of cream of broccoli soup dates back to the early 20th century, where it was first introduced as a dish for the wealthy. Over the years, it has become a staple in many households and has evolved into a dish that can be enjoyed by people from all walks of life. Its unique selling point is that it’s a perfect comfort food that can be enjoyed in any season and for any occasion, whether it’s a Thanksgiving dinner or a quick and easy lunch.
One of the great things about cream of broccoli soup is that it’s versatile and can be served with a variety of sides. From bread to salads, there are so many different options to choose from. In this blog post, we will provide you with some delicious and easy-to-prepare side dishes that will complement the soup perfectly.
Ingredients You Will Need To Make Cream of Broccoli Soup
To make cream of broccoli soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- Broccoli: 1 head of fresh broccoli, chopped into small florets.
- Onion: 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped.
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Butter: 2-3 tablespoons of butter for sautéing the onions and garlic.
- Flour: 2-3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour for thickening the soup.
- Chicken or Vegetable Broth: 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth to create the soup base.
- Heavy Cream: 1 cup of heavy cream to give the soup its creamy texture.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste.
These simple ingredients will come together to make a delicious and comforting soup that’s perfect for any occasion. Make sure to use fresh ingredients for the best flavor, and adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Equipments You Will Need To Prepare Cream of Broccoli Soup
To make cream of broccoli soup, you will need the following equipment:
- Large Pot or Dutch Oven: A large pot or Dutch oven is needed to cook the soup.
- Immersion Blender or Blender: An immersion blender or blender is needed to puree the soup until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Cutting Board and Knife: A cutting board and knife are needed to chop the broccoli and other vegetables.
- Wooden Spoon or Spatula: A wooden spoon or spatula is perfect for stirring the soup as it cooks.
- Measuring Cups and Spoons: Measuring cups and spoons are needed to ensure accurate measurement of ingredients.
Having these essential equipment ready will make the soup-making process more efficient and help you achieve a delicious and smooth soup.
Step-by-Step Guide To Make A Perfect Cream of Broccoli Soup
Step 1: Prep the Broccoli
Rinse the broccoli thoroughly and chop it into small florets using a sharp knife on a cutting board.
Step 2: Sauté the Onion and Garlic
Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté them until the onion becomes translucent and the garlic is fragrant, stirring with a wooden spoon.
Step 3: Add Flour and Broth
Sprinkle the flour over the sautéed onion and garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes until it forms a paste-like mixture. Slowly pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, whisking continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
Step 4: Add Broccoli
Add the chopped broccoli to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the broccoli is tender, stirring occasionally.
Step 5: Puree the Soup
Using an immersion blender or transferring the soup to a blender, blend the mixture until it’s smooth and creamy, being careful not to splatter the hot soup.
Step 6: Add Heavy Cream and Seasoning
Stir in the heavy cream and season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well using a wooden spoon.
Step 7: Serve and Enjoy
Ladle the hot soup into bowls and serve immediately with crusty bread or crackers. Enjoy the delicious and comforting cream of broccoli soup.
Tips and Tricks You Should Know
Choose fresh and ripe broccoli
Look for broccoli heads that are firm and bright green in color, without any yellow or brown spots. Fresh broccoli will have a better flavor and texture, and it will blend more easily into a smooth soup.
Use heavy cream for the best texture
Heavy cream adds richness and a silky texture to the soup. You can substitute it with half and half or milk, but the result won’t be as creamy. For a lighter version, you can use coconut milk or cashew cream instead of heavy cream.
Don’t overcook the broccoli
Overcooked broccoli can become mushy and lose its flavor. Cook it just until it’s tender enough to blend easily. You can steam or blanch the broccoli before adding it to the soup, or you can add it directly to the pot and let it simmer until tender.
Add toppings for extra flavor
You can top the soup with croutons, grated cheese, chopped herbs, or a drizzle of olive oil for extra flavor and texture. Some other toppings that go well with cream of broccoli soup are bacon bits, toasted nuts, or a dollop of sour cream.
Make it vegan
To make the soup vegan, substitute butter with olive oil, chicken broth with vegetable broth, and heavy cream with coconut cream or cashew cream. You can also add nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor and extra nutrients.
Store the soup properly
Let the soup cool down to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. You can also freeze the soup for longer storage, but keep in mind that the texture may change slightly when thawed. Reheat the soup on the stovetop or in the microwave until hot and bubbly, stirring occasionally.
What to Serve With Cream of Broccoli Soup?
- Toppings: Top the cream of broccoli soup with some grated cheese, croutons, chopped bacon, sour cream, or chopped herbs like parsley, chives, or cilantro for extra flavor and texture.
- Bread: Serve the cream of broccoli soup with some crusty bread, baguette, or garlic bread for dipping and sopping up the creamy goodness.
- Salad: Serve the cream of broccoli soup with a side salad like Caesar salad, spinach salad, or mixed greens salad for a complete and balanced meal.
- Sandwich: Serve the cream of broccoli soup with a grilled cheese sandwich, turkey sandwich, or panini for a satisfying and comforting lunch or dinner.
- Appetizer: Serve the cream of broccoli soup in shot glasses or small bowls as a fancy and elegant appetizer for parties or special occasions.
What Wine to Serve With Cream of Broccoli Soup?
When it comes to pairing wine with cream of broccoli soup, you’ll want to choose a wine that complements the rich, creamy flavors of the soup without overpowering them. A few good options to consider include:
- Chardonnay: A creamy, full-bodied chardonnay with notes of oak and vanilla can complement the creamy texture of the soup.
- Sauvignon Blanc: A crisp, acidic sauvignon blanc can provide a refreshing contrast to the richness of the soup.
- Pinot Grigio: A light, fruity pinot grigio can be a good choice if you want a wine that won’t overpower the delicate flavors of the soup.
- Viognier: A floral and fruity viognier can provide a nice balance to the creaminess of the soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use frozen broccoli for this cream of broccoli soup recipe?
Yes, you can use frozen broccoli, but fresh broccoli is recommended for the best flavor and texture.
How can I make the cream of broccoli soup less thick?
You can add more chicken broth or water to thin out the cream of broccoli soup to your desired consistency.
Can I use a blender instead of an immersion blender for this cream of broccoli soup?
You can use a blender to puree the cream of broccoli soup in batches, but be careful not to overfill the blender or blend the hot soup all at once.
Is cream of broccoli soup gluten-free?
It can be gluten-free if made with gluten-free flour or omitting flour altogether.
Is cream of broccoli soup low-fat?
It depends on the recipe, but it can be made low-fat by using low-fat milk instead of cream and reducing the amount of butter used.
Can I add other vegetables to this cream of broccoli soup recipe?
Sure, other vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, or potatoes can be added for extra flavor and nutrition to this cream of broccoli soup.
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- Immersion blender or blender
- Cutting board and knife
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 1 head of fresh broccoli chopped into small florets
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter
- 2-3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prep the Broccoli: Rinse the broccoli thoroughly and chop it into small florets.
- Sauté the Onion and Garlic: Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until translucent and fragrant.
- Add Flour and Broth: Sprinkle the flour over the sautéed onion and garlic, and stir for 1-2 minutes until it forms a paste-like mixture. Slowly pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, whisking continuously.
- Add Broccoli: Add the chopped broccoli to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the broccoli is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Puree the Soup: Use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add Heavy Cream and Seasoning: Stir in the heavy cream and season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Serve and Enjoy: Ladle the hot soup into bowls and serve immediately.
- Choose fresh and ripe broccoli for the best flavor. Use heavy cream for a rich and creamy texture.
- Be careful not to overcook the broccoli to maintain its flavor and texture.
- Consider adding toppings like croutons, grated cheese, or chopped herbs for extra flavor and texture.
- To make the soup vegan, substitute butter with olive oil, chicken broth with vegetable broth, and heavy cream with coconut cream or cashew cream.
We hope you enjoyed reading this recipe and are excited to try it out for yourself. Don’t forget to let us know how it turns out. If you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback about this recipe, please leave a comment below. We would love to hear from you and see your photos of the dish.
Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends and family on social media and subscribe to our newsletter for more amazing recipes.